FG2BH Influential Buzz: Chiney Ogwumike
At the 2010 ESPY Awards, Chiney Ogwumike was honored as the National High School Female Athlete of the Year! In the 8 year run of this special award, ESPY has only awarded pair Athlete of Year four times! Because of this Chiney got the chance to walk the red carpet at the 2010 ESPY Awards. Chiney, from Houston, Texas, graduated from Cy-Fair High School with an impressive 3.45 G.P.A. Chiney currently attends Stanford University where she will team up with her older sister Nneka, the defending Pac-10 Player of the Year, on the Women’s Basketball Team. Chiney and Nneka made history by becoming the first sibling duo in the history of the 25-year program to win the Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year honors. Check out this video of Chiney’s reaction when she found she was up for the ESPY Athlete of The Year Award.
Gatorade National Player of the Year: Chiney Ogwumike
Chiney on the 2010 ESPY Awards red carpet interview
Quick Facts on Chiney Ogwumike:
- Won the Girl’s ‘Naismith High School Player of the Year’ Award (DAYLIFE)
- Ogwumike averaged 22.9 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.1 blocks last season for Cy-Fair High in Cypress, Texas. (ESPY)
- Has an older sister Nneka that also plays basketball at Standford won the Gatorade Girls Basketball Player of the Year in 2008
- Because of her 6’3″ height, Chiney played Power Forward while in high school. (ESPN)
- Averaged 22.9 points, 13.9 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.1 blocks playing just 18 minutes per game. (PRNewswire)
- Chiney and Nneka are also known as the Ogwumike sisters at Stanford’s Women’s Basketball Team. Chiney and Nneka are the first sibling duo in the history of the 25-year program to win Gatorade National Girls Basketball Player of the Year honors!!!
- Both sisters fundraise for charities (Examiner)
- “This award honors academic excellence, athletic success and character. I think the character part is where I truly found myself,” she told MTV News. “The charity work that I have done has really become a part of me, and I think it’s wonderful that they recognize that as part of my success. That really has meant the most to me.” (MTV News)
- That’s her proud parents (Peter & Ify) in the photo collage!
Keep making us proud, Chiney!
FG2BH Influential Buzz is a daily feature on the success of influential Africans/African-Americans. To be apart of this, kindly suggest a person to me.
photo credits:: DAYLIFE//ZIMBIO