President Obama Appoints Nigerian Female Doctor Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade Into Key Administration Position!
President Barack Obama recently appointed Nigerian female Doctor Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade into a key administration position as a member of US National Cancer Advisory Board! Olopade was among the six individuals appointed into this prestigious position!
Olopado currently serves as the Walter L. Palmer Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine and Human Genetics, Associate Dean for Global Health, and Director of the Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics at the University of Chicago. So as you can see Olopado is also from Chicago as is President Obama!
Quick Facts on Dr. Funmi Olopade:
- She’s a medical school graduate from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- She completed her internship and residency at the University of Chicago Medical Center
- She has practiced medicine since 1980
- Her father was an Anglician minister/pastor.
- As she grew up in Nigeria, she witnessed her church members looking for health solutions and their anxiety inspired her to pursue a career inspired her to pursue a career in medicine. As her Dad used to tell her it would be great to have a doctor in the family.
- She’s fluent in English and Yoruba
- Olufunmilayo, a Yoruba name, means “God gives me joy.”
- She’s one of six children.
- She calls being a doctor her true calling.
- She’s an expert on breast cancer individualied treatment and she’s skilled hematology oncologist.
Read more about Dr. Funmi Olopade at the University of Chicago Medical Center!
Announcing the appointment, Obama said: “These dedicated individuals bring a wealth of experience and talent to their new roles and I am proud to have them serve in this Administration. I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come.”
Dr. Funmi Olapade on Breast Cancer Risk and Prevention
Thanks to reader Ozioma for sending this info in! Congrats to Dr. Funmi Olopade on this great honor!
ThisDay. Linda Ikeji Blog.