Season 10 American Idol Contestant Naima Adedapo Rocks African Lace
Nigerian-born Naima Adedope paid tribute to her African hertiage last night when she wore a yellow African Lace skirt and blouse* for her American Idol performance of Summertime. The look’s very much like the stylish Aso-Ebi trend that’s popular for a Nigerian wedding. Judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez gave her positive remarks but Randy Jackson thought it was just okay as he prefer when Fantasia
did it killed it seasons ago.
Season 10 Semi-Finalist Naima Adedapo – Summertime
Naima Adedapo’s Audition
Naima’s Hollywood Group Performance
Naima’s a American Idol Season 10 semi-finalist from Milwaukee who prior to her TV fame was a grounds cleanup to provide for her two kids. Her Cinderella story made Jennifer Lopez cry! She was the first contestant to reach the Top 25 of the competition! GO girl!
Quick Facts on Naimi Adedapo…
- She’s a proud Chicago native born in Nigeria.
- She appeared on Diddy’s Making The Band.
- Her name means exotic flower.
- She counts Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill and India.Arie as her musical influences.
- She’s a mother of two!
- She’s a trained dancer in ballet, jazz, and hip-hop.
- She used to be a janitor!
- She’s the lead vocalist of the R.A.S Movement, a band from Milwaukee, Wisconsin .
- She became an American Idol semi-finalist when she auditioned with the Donny Hathaway classic, For All We Know.
- She’s a member of the Burning Coal Theater.
American Idol airs on Wednesdays and Thursdays night at 8PM on FOX!
Follow her on Twitter: @NAdedapoAI
*UPDATE: Naima just confirmed to me on Twitter that her outfits are made by her Senegalese friend Adama Bah!